August 27, 2017
Canada’s longest hill climb race just got a little longer! We’ll be starting in town by the Tournament of Champions to take advantage of the new pavement.
Presented by the 112 Restaurant and made possible through the valued support of Parks Canada
The RCA is pleased to announce that we are hosting the Mt Revelstoke Steamer again this season. We are also excited to announce that Parks Canada completed their paving project last season – no more rough sections as the entire climb is now new or newish pavement!
What: Individual Time Trial up the Meadows in the Sky Parkway in Mt Revelstoke National Park.
When: first starters from 7am on Sunday August 27th, 2017
Course Details: This 26 km climb now starts at the Tournament of Champions Monument on Track St W near the Railway Museum. The course climbs 1450m and finishes near the summit of Mt Revelstoke (taking a right at the Balsam Lake parking lot and continuing to the very end of the pavement). There are few places in North America with such a long sustained climb. The average gradient is not terribly steep at 5.6% but the length makes up for lack of steepness. As you climb from temperate interior rain forest to subalpine meadows you are treated to improving views of the Columbia River Valley with the Monashees and Selkirks on either side. The road surface is excellent and the traffic is minimal. Truly a memorable climb!
Cost/Registration: Advance online registration with zone4 (opens Monday 7th Aug 8am) is strongly recommended.
· Registration (including zone4 fee) is $30 which includes finish line refreshments and brunch at the post-race awards
· Participants 16 years of age or under are eligible for a $10 discount
· RCA members are also eligible for a $10 discount
· Registration covers all licensing requirements so you do not need a UCI or Cycling BC race license to enter.
Categories: Mens and Womens under 35, 35-49 & 50+
Prizing: $100 for the fastest man and fastest woman | $100 Tantrum Ride Co. gift card for the fastest local | $50 cash for other category winners | $25 cash for second place in every category | $25 gift card for the 112 Restaurant for third in every category
Need to Know:
· Start times will be assigned by the race organizers based on predicted times that you provided when you registered.
· Check-in and late registration ($40 cash or cheque only) available on Saturday 26 August 4-5.30pm at Tantrum Ride Co.
· If you did not attend the Saturday afternoon check-in all competitors must check in 20 minutes prior to their start time to obtain their number plate and sign waivers.
· Competitors will depart at 30 second intervals beginning at 7am. The fastest riders may start between 8am and 8.15am. There are no aid stations on course but water and refreshments will be available at the finish line.
· Competitors are encouraged to ride their bikes down the Parkway after completing the race. With the new paving the descent is quite pleasant – the views are better on the way down too.
· We will be offering a bag shuttle so that racers can send warm clothes up to the finish (it can be a chilly ride down). Bugs are a possibility at the summit so be prepared.
· There will be limited capacity to transport some riders down the mountain but be prepared to ride down (or have someone pick you up).
· There are no facilities at the start line. The closest public washrooms are by Grizzly Plaza downtown. There are facilities available at the finish line.
· Post race awards will be immediately after people descend in Queen Elizabeth Park (McKenzie Ave at 9th St which is approximately 1km from downtown), so around 11am start. You may want to bring a chair to relax under a shady tree.
Valued Supporters: The Steamer is supported by many local businesses and hosted by Parks Canada
- Title Sponsor: 112 Restaurant at the Regent Hotel
- Draw Prizes from local businesses: Flowt, Skookum, Tantrum, Valhalla Pure, Stoke Roasted Coffee, Revelstoke Mountain Resort
- Food and Drink also supplied locally from La Baguette and The Modern
· This event is 100% volunteer organized and run. Any proceeds will go towards the Revelstoke Cycling Association.
· Event questions can be directed to race directors Stuart Smith and Bart Jarmula at email@example.com