2019 DETAILS COMING SOON!
Canada’s longest hill climb race, presented by the 112 Restaurant and made possible through the valued support of Parks Canada and Cycling BC.
What: Individual Time Trial up the Meadows in the Sky Parkway in Mt Revelstoke National Park.
When: First starters from 7am on Sunday August 26th, 2018
Course Details: This 26 km climb starts at the Tournament of Champions Monument on Track St W near the Railway Museum. The course climbs 1450m and finishes near the summit of Mt Revelstoke (taking a right at the Balsam Lake parking lot and continuing to the very end of the pavement). There are few places in North America with such a long sustained climb. The average gradient is not terribly steep at 5.6% but the length makes up for lack of steepness. As you climb from temperate interior rain forest to subalpine meadows you are treated to improving views of the Columbia River Valley with the Monashees and Selkirks on either side. The road surface is excellent and the traffic is minimal. Truly a memorable climb!
Cost/Registration: Online registration with zone4 is open. Entries are limited and we may sell out this year so advance registration is highly recommended.
· Registration (including zone4 fee) is $30 which includes finish line refreshments and brunch at the post-race awards
· All racers need a Parks Canada pass which can be added during registration at a group rate if you do not already have an annual pass – (Parks Canada would like all riders to be aware that the pass added at registration only covers riders for the day of the race, and that all persons (including cyclists) entering a National Park at any time are required to have a valid annual or day pass)
· Participants 16 years of age or under are eligible for a $10 discount
· RCA members are also eligible for a $10 discount
· Registration covers all licensing requirements so you do not need a UCI or Cycling BC race license to enter.
Categories: Mens and Womens under 35, 35-49 & 50+
Prizing: $100 for the fastest man and fastest woman | $100 Tantrum Ride Co. gift card for the fastest local | $50 cash for other category winners | $30 cash for second place in every category | $20 cash for third in every category
Need to Know:
· Start times will be assigned by the race organizers based on predicted times that you provided when you registered.
· Check-in and late registration (if the event is not already sold out – $40 cash or cheque only) available on Saturday 25 August 4-5.30pm at Tantrum Ride Co.
· If you did not attend the Saturday afternoon check-in all competitors must check in 20 minutes prior to their start time to obtain their number plate and sign waivers.
· Competitors will depart at 30 second intervals beginning at 7am. The fastest riders may start between 8am and 8.15am. There are no aid stations on course but water and refreshments will be available at the finish line.
· The race course is subject to change if required by Parks Canada. Extreme weather, fire hazard or wild animal conflicts could result in the course being shortened, or Mt Revestoke National Park being closed. These circumstances are outwith the race organizers’ control. If the race has to be canceled no refunds will be given, but your entry will roll over to next year.
· Competitors are encouraged to ride their bikes down the Parkway after completing the race. With the new paving the descent is quite pleasant – the views are better on the way down too.
· We will be offering a bag shuttle so that racers can send warm clothes up to the finish (it can be a chilly ride down). Bugs are a possibility at the summit so be prepared.
· There will be limited capacity to transport some riders down the mountain but be prepared to ride down (or have someone pick you up).
· There will be a portapotty at the start line. The closest public washrooms are by Grizzly Plaza downtown. There are facilities available at the finish line.
· Post race awards will be immediately after people descend in Queen Elizabeth Park (McKenzie Ave at 9th St which is approximately 1km from downtown), so around 11am start. You may want to bring a chair to relax under a shady tree.
Valued Supporters: The Steamer is supported by many local businesses and hosted by Parks Canada
Title Sponsor: 112 Restaurant at the Regent Hotel
Results by year:
2013: No event
· This event is 100% volunteer organized and run. Any proceeds will go towards the Revelstoke Cycling Association.
· Event questions can be directed to race director, Stuart Smith (revelstokehillclimb(at)gmail.com).