The RCA recognizes that e-bikes are a growing presence in the mountain bike community. As it stands, e-bikes are not permitted on any RCA-managed trails, but this could change.
The RCA has a partnership agreement with Recreation Sites & Trails BC (RSTBC) to manage and maintain the trails on Mount Macpherson, Boulder Mountain, and Frisby Ridge. These trails are designated for non-motorized use. That means no e-bikes are currently permitted on RCA-managed trails. This also goes for other non-motorized trails managed by RSTBC such as Keystone-Standard Basin, Mount Cartier, and Sale Mountain.
That said, RSTBC is developing an e-bike policy and has engaged stakeholder groups including the RCA in the draft stage. The policy will be released very soon. It is anticipated that separate classes of e-bikes will be identified and there will be flexibility to develop local solutions with input from clubs.
The RCA has taken steps to prepare for a potential change in RSTBC policy. Last year, we conducted a survey to gauge how our members felt about e-bikes, the results of which can be found here.
As a result of the survey, the board of directors adopted the following recommendations:
- Due to potential for conflict, e-bikes will not be allowed on Mount Macpherson and Frisby Ridge;
- We will ask RSTBC to permit e-bikes on Boulder Mountain and Ultimate Frisby, for downhill riding only;
- E-bikes will be allowed on our new Sunnyside trail network, should it be approved.
- The RCA will approach RSTBC about an exemption on Mount Macpherson for e-bikers with a disability.
Note that these are simply our recommendations and RSTBC will have the final say on where e-bikes are allowed.
If you are looking to ride your e-bike in Revelstoke, you can currently do so on these trails:
- Mount Revelstoke and Glacier National Parks: All trails designated as bike trails in both national parks can be ridden on pedal-assist bikes. These include:
- Mount Revelstoke Trail (railway museum to the bike park)
- 2K and 5K Soren Sorensen Trails
- Highway 23 Connector Trail
- Beaver Valley Trail as far as the Grizzly Creek Bridge
- Revelstoke Mountain Resort (The Stoke Climb, Greeley Trail, and Fifty Six Twenty, as well as all future trails built by the resort).
- The Revy Riders dirt bike trails, which are all designated for motorized use. Note: Trail fees in effect!
The RCA is forming a committee to look at issues related to e-bikes. If you are interested in taking part, please email David Biggin-Pound at email@example.com.